Thursday, August 21, 2014

Eastern Europe Serbian style apricot jam tart



I got this recipe from Serbian Apricot Torte - Torta Praska on web.
As it is explained in their web, it's made with a layered yeast dough that requires no rising.

So it's fluffy, yet easy!

The recipe is web was just too large for my family,  so I changed a little, and baking time was much shortened.

So for my record,  I'll note here what I did.


What you need :

Active dry yeast ( not instant yeast)  3.5g (or around 1 tea spoon)
*I used Bob's red mill brand from USA

1/8 cup warm water + sprinkle of sugar to feed yeast

------These two can be combined already and set aside



80ml sour cream

2 egg yolk ( keep the egg white )

------ These 2 can be mixed together as you measure, then add the yeast + water




1 cup walnut chopped

2/3 cup sugar (could be less if you don't want to make it too sweet)

1/2 tsp cinnamon 

------These 3 can be mixed together and set aside ( for filling).



1 stick + 3 Tbsp butter

2 cups unbleached organic flour

350g Apricot jam or any jam you like / or canned fruits topping for cake



<Prepare these while baking>

2 egg white

1/4 tsp cream of tartar

1/4 cup sugar (or less according to your taste)

1/2 cup walnut chopped



<How to make>





 Dissolve active dry yeast  in warm water with sprinkle of sugar, set aside. 
When it's foamy, add egg yolk and sour cream in it.




Coat a 20cm x 15cm pan with oil or shortening or butter.






I used an organic shortening this time.






In a large bowl,  mix together butter and flour, 
using fingers, until it becomes crumbles texture.

I don't normally place butter in room temperature
 if I use it in this way. 

Temperature is too warm and butter melts so fast, 
since I don't have air-conditoning in my kitchen.






It doesn't need to be perfectly crumbled. 





Add the mixture of <yeast / egg yolk / sour cream > in here.
 Mix just enough to blend, 
but don't knead.




Place out dough on floured board.





Divide in three.
No need to be so exactly equal.


You could start to heat the oven now.
350°F / 175℃




Using roller pin, roll the dough the size of pan.






Spread <walnut / sugar/ cinnamon > mixture.






Roll another dough and put it over.




Spread apricot jam, or any jam you prefer. 
For me, jam was just too sweet.
I'd prefer fruits in syrup or something less sweet.







I didn't have enough apricot jam, 
so I added a little quince jelly. 





Roll the last dough and place it on top. 







Bake around 30 min until brownish.





While baking, 
using electric hand mixer, beat egg white until foamy. 

Add cream of tartar, and sugar gradually, and beat until stiff.





Place out of the oven, 
spread meringue on top





Spread chopped walnut on top.




Bring it back to the oven, and bake until brown.
(around 15-20 min)







I love this dough with yeast. 
It's like a pie dough, but because of yeast, it comes our fluffy. 

I'd try apple, strawberry, orange, Lemmon next time. 
I prefer a little less sweeter, but it is just right to preserve in hot weather.



No comments:

Post a Comment